By Ann Frances –
At the close of business yesterday, the last day for any city council candidate to return nomination papers indicating his or her intention to run for the two open city council seats, 14 individuals were deemed qualified candidates and now are listed as such on the city’s website.
There also are four candidates vying for the expiring two-year-term of the office of mayor, including incumbent Mayor Christina Shea.
Mayoral candidates include:
- Katherine Daigle – Nonprofit Director/Businesswoman
- Luis Huang – Electrical Engineer/Entrepreneur
- Farrah Khan – Irvine Councilmember/Businesswoman
- Christina Shea – Appointed Irvine Mayor
City Council candidates include:
- Larry Agran – Public Interest Attorney
- Laura Bratton – Family Manager
- Mike Carroll – Vice Mayor, City of Irvine
- Christina Dillard – Mother/Paralegal Student
- Anshul Garg – Entrepreneur/Businessman
- Dylan Green – Graduate Student Researcher
- Diana Jiang – Businesswoman/Technology Professional
- Lauren Johnson-Norris – Irvine Commissioner/Businesswoman
- Tammy Kim – Irvine Commissioner/Educator
- Hai Yang Liang – Census Field Manager
- Mark Newgent – Retired Army Captain
- Carrie O’Malley – California District Director
- John Park – Irvine Commissioner/Businessman
- Abigail Pole – University Undergraduate Researcher
The Aug. 10 unofficial list of candidates posted showed Carrie O’Malley was the first to pull nomination papers on July 13, the first day they were available. Jason Kraft pulled papers on July 21, but did not return them. Larry Agran was the last to pull papers on July 30. Agran was also the last to submit his completed candidate statement, stamped by the city clerk as received on Aug. 11.
The General Municipal Election will take place on Nov. 3.